July 11, 2005

This morning I rolled out of bed, dressed, took my medicine, ate a bagel, had a cup of tea, and went back to bed.

I'm having what I call a "church hangover." It's one of those things that happens when I go to Merkers and watch a bunch of movies on Saturday night. It's not the movies that does it. It's when it's 11 o clock and we say, "Hey! Blockbuster's still open! Let's get another movie!" Then, well, the time we leave for church varies, but this Sunday we were aiming for 8. So, add whatever time before 8 you have to wake up, and however late we went to bed from watching that last movie. And Sunday mornings, well, they're always not terribly fun for me until I actually get to church. It's hectic, everyone is yelling at each other (even in my family; I'm not picking on the Merkers here), we always arrive later than we mean to, causing the adults to be grumpy, etc.

Have you ever wondered why church service doesn't happen at 6 am, the "good ol time", the way it probably was when there started to be such a thing as Sunday morning church? Here's why. No longer is church the first thing that happens that day. Before church, the worship team practices for an hour beforehand. The coffee needs to be made and snacks set out. The facilities need to be readied for people. And the adult sunday school takes place. This is why our actual service starts at 10 am, which is an hour later than it used to be, and an hour earlier than most church services (though I know some exist that are earlier.) Keep in mind, too, that we only have one service. Our church is fairly small (I counted forty people in the service yesterday).

Anyway. Those who arrive early to church and do not already have a specific purpose for being there (i.e. me, who only came because Merkers were driving her) are assigned jobs immediately, rather than just sitting around. This is nice. Occupation is nice. Usually it is to watch somebody's kids or take part in the worship team. I thought I'd sit around till someone told me to do something, and soon somebody said "oh no! We have no sopranos!...Amber!" So I sang. I don't like singing on Sunday mornings because I just can't. I don't have the range I normally do, I don't sound good at all...oh well. I didn't really care.

I think families should all wake up early as a family on Sunday mornings, instead of some people waking up an hour beforehand and some waking up five minutes beforehand. I think people should take their showers on Saturday night if possible to minimize rush in the morning (that was always our problem. There was never enough hot water for everyone. I would wake up very early just to shower). I think that the family should eat a NICE breakfast, together. Because, nobody does that! It's a good time to play some nice Sunday morning music, make some pancakes and corn meal mush, and just sit back. Yeah, it would involve everyone waking up at least an hour and a half before it was time to leave. But it would sure improve the mood. There's nothing worse than going to church and being in the wrong mood, because it's difficult to socialize with your friends, learn from the sermon (word for you all: sermons are intended to teach, not to be entertaining. Get over your boredom because it's your own fault, not the pastor's.), etc.

Anyway, I think when I have a family, I'd like to try that. Then again, I just like mornings in general and I miss going to bed early and waking up early.

becca.....where are you.....

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Kaits said...

In Canada faaaaaaaaar away. :D
We used to eat breakfast as a family on sunday. beacuse the three youngest would take a shower on saturday.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your words, Amber. People often take such things too lightly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home