March 12, 2005

Well, I went and got my Red Cross first aid and infant/child cpr certification today. It was very interesting. I had a good instructor, I think. There were nine of us in the class, and a lot of the adults really grated on my nerves after the first four hours. They'd interrupt the teacher to put in their own two cents constantly, and constantly break in and tell their own stories of something only remotely related to what we were talking about, and pretty much waste class time. Several of them would get into conversations/arguments about what to do in some improbable situation, and the rest of us would sit back and roll our eyes and try not to scream. There was one point when I came very close to blowing up, and it took a phenomenal amount of self control not to tell the lady next to me, "Look, we're here to learn from the instructor, and the sooner he can resume teaching, the sooner we can get our certificates and go. Will you please shut up!"

There was a vending machine room there. It was pretty cool. The size of my dorm room, there were probably ten vending machines in it. I was wandering around looking for some place in the building to buy coffee, and a lady asked if she could help me, and I said "I'm looking for a cup of coffee" and she directed me to this, the vending machine room.

By the time I reached the coffee vending machine, I knew it was vital that I get coffee quickly so I'd be alert enough to get through the class till lunch. I put a five dollar bill in, and the machine didn't take it. I put it in again, and this time it took it. Did not notice that the machine only accepted $1 bills. Noticed that the cup of coffee I got costed a dollar. Did not notice that I did not receive change. Took my coffee and downed it in one gulp. It actually wasn't half bad.

Later that day the same thing happened, except by this time I was awake enough to realize that when the machine ate my other $5 bill, it had eaten my $5 bill. Took my coffee and marched up to the front desk, told them what had happened, filled out a form, and received back my four dollars.

Of course, the whole time I was kicking myself in the head for not realizing the first time that I had lost four dollars. But at that time I honestly wasn't awake to realize it.

We got out of the class around 4, so it only ended up lasting 7 1/2 hours. Took a while to get picked up so I got back to campus close to 5. For some reason my blood sugar was lower than I have allowed it to get in a long time - I could hardly walk, I was shaking, I was tired and hungry, and I basically felt awful. Of course I didn't realize it for a while since it's been so long since I've let it get low. It was ten minutes before dinner and I was sitting on the floor of my room scarfing Cheez-Its until the cafeteria opened and Jessica was like "Guess what? There's a big plate of chocolate in the lounge left over from last night!" And I was like "SUGAR! I need some! Now!" and she was like "Dinner's in five minutes!" And I said, "I don't care!" And I ate two pieces of chocolate and more Cheez-Its. Then I went to the cafeteria and ate two big pieces of chicken and three cookies and an orange. Then I completely started fading and barely made it back to my room before collapsing on my bed and falling asleep for 2 1/2 hours. Now I'm awake. Hungry again, since I ate three hours ago.

I guess I never realized before how much I depended on my 2:30-3:00 snack, is all. Kind of scary. I haven't gotten all weird like that for a while.

I made some tea and it's getting cold!

-Amber

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

Needing to perform CPR should be an exceptional circumstance anyway; why should talking about rarer possibilities be any less necessary? The whole point is to be ready for anything.

In the lecture center at my school, there is a whole wall of vending machines; there might be 8 to 10 of them. I also experienced the $5 thing; although I noticed it said $1 bills only before I actually tried to use it, it kept me from buying a snack on Friday. Bah. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to get change from anymore; the only place I hand money to people that I can get change from is the gas station and on the thruway (where I get a nickel back since the toll is 20 cents).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home