March 04, 2005

Want to know something weird? No? Too bad.

Considering I've grown up in a Christian home, attending church, reading my Bible....

Considering I spent a school year studying, reading, and memorizing Hebrews, and being tested on what of it I knew at least once a week...

Considering that during this school year I have kept having to rememorize what I learned last year of Hebrews so I won't forget it...

You might think it odd that just now, my third or fourth time rememorizing this material, I think I'm finally "getting" the point of Hebrews.

A good deal of why I'm getting it is because of what I'm learning in Bible Study Methods.

Don't ask me what the point is, I can't explain it yet, and I don't know if I ever can. I'm just excited that it's starting to make sense, and here, eight chapters into the book, I'm finally memorizing ideas, not just words.

I remember starting to memorize Hebrews at the beginning of that quizzing year. I was so frustrated. The wording was difficult ("So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs") and after expending much energy on trying to get the point of the chapter, I always found myself confused and disappointed. The whole book of Hebrews seemed full of completely unrelated ideas. I think that's part of the reason I didn't do as well that year as I did when we memorized, say, 1 and 2 Corinthians, or Galatians/Ephesians/Philippians/Colossians. Those were Pauline, those were easy. Hebrews just didn't make sense to me, and I wasn't motivated to memorize it for that reason.

Except, I'm just admitting it now. Now that I'm motivated to memorize it because it does make sense. It's a great feeling, to have spent hours and hours on something and wondered if it would ever be worthwhile at all, but through sheer determination pushing toward the end, with faith that somehow this will be beneficial in the future, and suddenly you are benefited. And, poof! You also have the motivation you need to get through the last few chapters.

After memorizing Hebrews, it will be so much easier to read Isaiah!

I'm super excited.

I just wish random people would also get excited about things like this. I know becca would, and that's because she memorizes too. And I'll bet after she gets out of quizzing, she goes back and rememorizes Hebrews too.

You can't really know the joy of memorizing till you've done it, really, and experienced the hours of effort and brainpower that go into it. But if someone encourages you, and you're motivated, then you can put in the time, and the effort, and "reap the benefits." I sound like a commercial.

On another note, my roommate is gone for the weekend. I'm rather lonely. I'm tempted to take her "The Complete Novels of Jane Austen" book and stay up all night reading. She has other good books too. Except, I have good books, too...there are too many books, they drive me nuts, I hate them.

Or maybe I'll start on Hebrews 9...

Homework is out of the question. It's only 10 on Friday night!

I just had a cup-a-noodles and a cup-a-tea and a feverfew pill, which is an herb that was suggested to me by someone to take to prevent migraines. I've been taking it for a week and a day now and no migraine, but it hasn't been long enough to tell whether it's been effective yet or not, really. A week without a migraine is somewhat normal. Two weeks are a happy thing. Three weeks are somewhat unheard of. Four would be a miracle. I have sixty pills, and at two a day that's thirty days, which is roughly four weeks. So, I'll take them till then, and if I don't get a migraine for a whole month, I will definitely be able to say it's because of the pills. A whole month without a migraine is something I haven't experienced for...a year and a half, probably!

Why am I typing so much? I'm just a computer hog. Haha, there's no one around to hog it from! Actually I'm bored; could you not tell? I want to quote to someone to see if I memorized 7 and 8 correctly. It does get tiring saying the same chapters to yourself. But I don't like just going around asking to quote to people because that's kind of like saying "ooh, look at me, I memorize the Bible" and I hate it when people think that. On the other hand, it helps so much to have someone there with a Bible who can correct your wording and stuff. So, I pick a select few close friends, endure the initial "you're amazing/insane"s, and proceed to quote to them and only to them.

I want to see pictures of Heidi's hair! I'll bet she's still up. I'm going to call her and bug her.

-Amber

3 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger tyrone said...

Speaking of noodle cup things, fantastic foods makes a hot and sour "big soup" that's really tasty. If you like hot and sour soup, that is. I think I'll have one tomorrow sometime.

Gosh, I sound like some kind of guerrilla marketer or something.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "If you like hot and sour soup" is the only issue for me. Other than that, you did a good job marketing.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you were up late last night. 3:08 am?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home