February 17, 2005

I'm home! Till Sunday. Since I have time on my hands (yay! Relaxing is...wow. I think I had forgotten how.) I will now type about every little thing that's happened to me in the last day, no matter how boring.

Ahem.

Train! I thought I was getting picked up at 5:15 to leave for the train station where my train left at 6:15. At 5:30, the people supposed to pick me up hadn't and I couldn't reach them on their cell phone, I basically went to the cafeteria (it was dinner time) and announced that I really needed a ride to the train station. Someone was going to drive me, and she was getting directions, and then the other people called that they were here. By then I was convinced we wouldn't reach the station on time because of traffic. But we only hit one red light the whole way down (that's a miracle from God, by the way) and I basically got there just as they were announcing that the coach class could board. Then in the same two minutes I nearly lost both my cell phone and my driver's license, but both times someone else noticed that I'd dropped/left them, and given them back to me. God, again, was watching out for me.

Train - good, of course. I remembered to bring headphones. The movie was Ray. Halfway through I got bored because of all the women Ray was having sex with, I couldn't tell which was his wife. The plot got so confusing I just took off the headphones and read philosophy instead - that's how bored I was. Two kids started screaming. Luckily, that doesn't bother me. And the parents weren't stupid, which was nice. Kids misbehaving in public is one thing, parents not doing anything about it is another. I felt horrible for the parents, who were extremely embarrassed.

Minor things happened which were noticed by me but are truly impossible to make interesting.

Oh! Except for the one lady!

So, directly across from this aforementioned family of four, there was an older lady, sixtyish. She was the kind of person that notices everything. She had beady eyes. If you looked at her, she would be looking at you - that's how fast she noticed that you were looking at her.

The Family of Four went to get snacks. The lady was sitting, noticing everything, and frowning disapprovingly. The conductor (do they still call them that? Anyway, he looked just like a conductor) came by and said to her, "Could you please move over there?" and pointed to where the Family of Four had been sitting. She looked, and said, "But there's no one sitting over here where I am, so why can't I sit here?"

He said, "I have more people coming on the train at the next stop."

She said, "What?"

He repeated himself.

She said, "Can you wait till they" (meaning the family) "come back?"

He said "Look, this isn't your seat. You gotta move."

She said, "What?"

He repeated himself.

She said, "But mister! There's no one sitting here!"

He said, "you know what, never mind. If you have to move, I'll let you know."

She said "What?"

He walked away.

She saw me watching her immediately and said, "He didn't know I wasn't with that family!"

I smiled and nodded.

She said, "Are you going to Tacoma?"

I said, "No, Tukwila."

She said, "What?"

I practically yelled "Tukwila!" and the whole car looked at me and smiled sympathetically.

She said "Oh." and looked at me but I put on my headphones and waited for the movie to come on.

Later in the trip the conversation was repeated, with the whole Tukwila thing.

It wasn't that funny I guess.

This morning, I woke up at 8, had a really good breakfast of toast with REAL butter and necatrines without. Yum.

Melody wanted to use her Starbucks card on me, so we went to Starbucks. We stood deliberating over what we wanted. Not wanting to blow my sister's money, I decided to get the cheapest cup of coffee. She decided to get a pastry. When the time came to order, I thought she'd just order her pastry and let me order my coffee. So I was confused when I heard her say, "I'd like a cinnamon roll...and a cup of coffee."

The barista said the look on my face was wonderful. I was shocked that my eight year old sister was drinking coffee. Then Mel clarified, "I was just ordering for you!"

Haha. I clarified with "tall drip."

Interesting, isn't it, that you can't order simply "a cup of coffee" at Starbucks? You have to clarify a size, and usually they have more than one kind of "drip" coffee.

Went to the library and checked out "The Natural History of the Chicken," a PBS documentary. One of the funniest, weirdest videos about chickens ever. I figure to watch it once a year - this is, then, the second year.

Read "Toliver's Secret." A joy of having a significantly younger sibling, who is being homeschooled with the same curriculum you grew up with, is rereading all the great historical fiction kid's books that you read when you were younger but lost forever in Africa.

Read more philosophy. Four and a half more chapters, then I'm done with the book.

Where is becca? At work? At school? Should I call her cell? I'm hungry, I want lunch, goodbye,

-Amber

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger tyrone said...

Now I desperately want to watch "The Natural History of the Chicken".

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why? Maybe I'd know if I had read the whole post...

I remember that. Well, I've never watched it, but I remember hearing about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home