January 27, 2005

Last week, a girl I met asked me to come to a campus crusade bible study at school. I happened to have time in-between* classes, so I went today.

I walked into the classroom. Someone said, "hi," and asked who I was. After our short conversation, I sat down by a girl with frizzy blonde hair who was wearing a very warm looking sweatshirt. She was nice enough. She introduced me to a few other people who chanced to walk by, and then the dialogue seemed to die after a few more exchanged questions - what courses we were taking, how long had we been attending the school, blehblehbleh, etc.

I don't usually form expectations about new things. I supose now I can expect how it will be at the next meeting, because I've already been there. I should expect it to run in a similar way.
Just because this was a "bible study" doesn't mean that it would be anything like the other ones I've been a part of, save the fact that we'd be studying the bible.
SO, I didn't really come up with any expectations as far as what it was going to be like.
I thought, "oh, sure, it'll be nice to meet the other Christians on campus, and maybe this will even get me to read my bible and challenge me to grow more!" I was a little excited when I looked at it from that point.

But, somehow, as I was sitting there, and even after I left - as I was walking to my next class - I had a feeling of unsatisfaction.

Pourquoi? (But why?)

They were nice people, and though they were mostly just rambling off their inside jokes, I didn't ever think of "fitting in" with the group right away anyway, so that wasn't what bothered me. The guy who spoke had a good message. It was thought provoking and everything was backed up by a biblical passage. The songs for worship were new to me, but I enjoyed them, and that part isn't about me anyway. Really, I suppose none of it is.

But, I found that I had expected them to be more mature. I guess it's just young college kids, but I couldn't believe the number of people whispering and laughing during the message.

Another thing that I noticed is that they were so excited that someone "new" had come, but then, they didn't put much effort into making me want to become part of the group.

ah.

I'll give it a few more meetings.


I learned about harnessing bubbles to set off nuclear fusion! It's referred to as "sonofusion" or "bubble fusion." Amazing stuff. Along with the weird fact I learned about the burrowing owl.

Where did it all come from!? While I was in the library at school, I picked up "NewScientist" and I think I read just about every article in it. I didn't even realize how long it had been until I turned the page and saw the front cover again. ha. I couldn't put it down! It was ALL so interesting.

I'm done now!
-becca

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger becconing amberlance said...

Woah, careful now or you'll have yet another career to choose from. Tea. Tea.

-Amber

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could put the two together, "science writer." Or editor. Or something. No, maybe not.

Don't give me ideas!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger becconing amberlance said...

science "fiction" writer?

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nooo, I can't write science fiction! What are you thinking!? I'm not even a very big fan of science fiction. I like hitch-hiker(I should read that again), but I think I've only read one asimov story. Is that his name? ha. it's blasphemy, I know. and just look at that capitalization (or lack there of)! in three different sentences! I mean, four.

Science-writers write about scientific discoveries and things. You know, like a journalist. Writing so that people who don't know what hemoglobins are can understand - to some extent - how something that at least seems a little more complicated (e.g. electronic charging pads or sonofusion) work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home