January 28, 2005

Hi, everyone! It's raining out! It's beautifully wet. It's Friday. I am so very happy.

And I actually have a reason!

But here, first let me say that this tale will be boring to those (ie becca) who have heard the saga from start to finish, and so those (ie becca) who see this had better not read the next entry with expectations of being entertained.

On Wednesday, at the end of my British Lit class I went up to my instructor (Schaak) and asked him something. We ended up talking about the English major that I'm planning to take as soon as the program is implemented next year (Fall 2006.) I had talked with him about this before and he had said that as long as I take lots of English classes before the program is actually implemented, I'll be fine to graduate in four years with my two degrees - Bible and English.

Well, he had just found out the day before that those in charge had decided to delay the implementation one year, so it would be Fall 2007 by the time the program was actually put in. This threw a wrench in my plans. Basically, the only way I could still do it was to take lots of summer classes and fill my semesters up all the way, and barely graduate with my two degrees.

Or, I could just stay an extra year or two and have fun.

I'm going for the latter.

So, here's what's going to happen. Never again will I feel pressured to take the maximum amount of credits allowed - the last three weeks have been just really hard. I mean, it's not a matter of holding down the fort - I'm keeping up on homework and assignments, if barely - but I'm not enjoying my fun classes!

After deciding to take it easy for the next six years and see what happens school-wise and see if God illuminates any other interesting way, I thought about this semester. Why am I taking 18 credits? Because I thought I had to in order to stay on track with both my majors. But now that I'm resigned to being here for maybe even six years, I don't have to take 18 credits! It's too late to drop a class without getting a "W" on my transcript, but I don't care! And guess what I did today!

I dropped my Gospels class, the one that's taught by that guy that gives completely unpredictable quizzes that are never on what he says they will be on! The 8 am four days a week class! The boring class that I read novels through! The one I think I could be actually learning things in, and I'm not!

I dropped it!

I'm at FOURTEEN CREDITS!

My homework load isn't actually going to be that different because thus far I wasn't spending too much time on homework in that class. I could see it would get a lot harder though, and now I'm avoiding that! I'll get more sleep though, that's for sure.

-Amber

3 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger becconing amberlance said...

look, I put links up! I feel so smart, I don't know anything about html,and look what I figured out how to do! Bwahaahaaa.

-becca

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you dropped the class. Worst mistake I ever did in college was sign up for more than 17 credits in one quarter. I never slept, I had no social life, and I don't remember learning anything anyway (with the exception of learning that I should never take greater than 17 credits in a single quarter). It's raining here in Edmonds today. Bible and English degrees? How awesome! You know... you could help translate the Bible or write Bible commontaries some day...

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger becconing amberlance said...

Let me guess - Gryphon? You're the only one I know who lives in Edmonds.

Thank you! I keep feeling like a lazy bum now that I only have 14 credits. Thank you for making me feel like the noblest, most sacrificial person in the world.

-Amber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home