December 13, 2004

I cannot believe that such a small percentage of students pass the math portion of the COMPASS test. I think whoever told you that was mistaken. You know 96.8% of all statistics are made up. Except, it's not like you're bad at math or anything. You're probably better at it than the average highschool student. Hm. Still. Maybe it's different at Renton Technical College. I bet it's easier. Except that you can transfer your scores to other schools...so...okay. I don't know. That still seems weird to me though.


Last night, the power went out. All of renton was...OUT. Except for the driving home part and all the idiots who don't know when to stop or when to keep going with the lights out, it was sort of nice. Especially because I had no desire to do anything other than read by candle light or go to sleep. I ended up calling amber, though, because it was so dark, and it was only 7 or 8 PM, and I had a very real moment of boredom. I don't remember anything of our conversation. It seems like it was very tangential and very loud. Especially when kaitie came in. She would NOT stop tickling me. I don't get tickled very often, but I'm afraid that I am terribly ticklish. I always have been. Shame, shame.

I just finished reading "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen. I've never really commended Jane Austen for her brilliant plots. They are all rather monotonous. It's always about people being married off well, or married at all. There is always one gentlemen who seems quite amiable and almost wins the heart, or already has won the heart, of the object of his attentions, and then he goes and ruins it by eloping with some other girl. Generally with a relation of the girl he has professed his undying love to. In Pride and Prejudice, there is Mr. Wickham who works his way into Elizabeth's affection. But then his true character is revealed, he runs off with her youngest sister, and then she ends up marrying the man of true character, Mr. Darcy.

In Persuasion, pretty much the same thing. There's some history of this guy she loves, and this other guy is the heir to their property, and he seems great, but then the origional guy is the one who she ends up marrying because he ends up not doing something that ruins his credibility.

I could go on. Shall I? Same thing in Emma. Mr. Frank Churchhill ends up being in love with that other girl, and she marries Mr. Knightley who is far superior to him anyway.

It's always someone who has been there form the beginning of the novel as well. Sorry to spoil the ends to all of these stories if you have never read them, but the best part of Jane Austen's writing is the writing. The way the language flows and the use of so many, as it were, lost words.
I find even when I know the ending, I am anxious to get to the end. I've read Mansfield park once before, but still, I was so unwilling to put it down, that I read it in about two days.

However, Mansfield park is by far, my favorite of her work. At least, of what I have read. I believe there are a couple novels of hers I haven't read yet. But, mansfield park is the sweetest thus far. So much more happens in it than in the other books. The characters that surround the heroine are based off of a play, which they also perform in the story. It acts (no pun intended) as a sort of allegory, and if you are somewhat familiar with the play, it presages what is going to take place. Also, the heroine is much easier for me to like than Elizabeth Bennet or Emma was.

Ah. I am done.

It's a wonder that I don't try and major in english as well. But I can't write worth anything, so it's no good.

My foot is asleep, and I'm not wearing socks.

-becca

Hey, I'm going to start the amber countdown!

It's...well, it's 4 1/2 days until. amber is here. I'd be more exact but I don't know what time she's coming.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahaHHAHHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHMAHAMWHBAWH

-kaitie

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming Friday evening I think, around 6 or 7.

You can too write!

Why am I posting a comment instead of doing another post? Because I'm lazy. I have dedicated the hours of 1 pm to 3:30 pm to study for my Spanish final which takes place at 3:30 pm. It's 12 49. So I'm lazing for the next eleven minutes.

I haven't read any great literature lately besides Decision Making...but I haven't finished that, and I think what I meant was a novel. No great novels lately. I should read that book of yours.

-Amber

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger becconing amberlance said...

ugh, amber, I am so sick, this is horrible.

I woke up at 3:30, took a shower, and expected to have an hour to either loaf around doing nothing or read or something, and of course, I sat in agony for half n hour until I finally threw up. I think it's just from something I ate the other day, I hope that's all it is. I have to leave for work in half n hour though, and I'm starting to feel really sick all over again.

arrgh!

haha, I bet everyone who read this comment REALLY wanted to know about that.

I'm trying to keep my mind off of it...by writing about it? hmm.

-becca

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! You poor thing! I don't know when you get off work, but if you're feeling better when you get back and you have extra minutes, you can call me - I haven't been using mine at all. Get Kaitie to make you some tomato soup. Don't not eat. Love you.


-Amber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home