January 07, 2006

Last night was fun. We had a music/game night.

Though they're called music/game nights, I know I rarely play a game. Generally, we have twenty to thirty people at our house, and roughly half of them play board games (last night, Tyrone brought DDR, so people were also playing that). The other half (roughly) sing and play instruments in the main "piano" room for, I don't know how many hours, because none of us ever looks at a clock. When that winds down, some of the music people will go into a board game if one happens to be starting up, or people will just hang out, eat, and talk. It's all incredibly fun.

I think the thing I'm most glad of is that we still have them, even though we moved half an hour south, and all the same people are willing to drive down, and we get some new people, too!

Here are the elements that are important to a music/game night:

-Merkers, Maruchecks, and Mulls (this is the core group, and we always have it at our house, so I think we're pretty darn important too!)
-Food (everybody brings something)
-Kids running around screaming and chasing each other
-A piano
-People who can play guitar
-People who enjoy singing worship songs
-People (like my mom) who love to play board games like Settlers, Scrabble, and Chess (a few that were played last night)

It's a great time to catch up with people I don't get to talk to much since I'm away at school a lot. It's also a good time to meet new people.

My mom is pretty great. We have a music/game night almost every time I come home. She'll call me at school and ask me if I want to have one on whatever upcoming break. Then, she calls everybody and tells them the date (it'll always be on a Friday) and the time (it'll always be at 7) and "bring a snack item and any musical instruments you have".

The last person (cough cough, tyrone) left last night at an hour approaching 2 am. The latest people stay is often 1 or 2 am.

Anyway, if you are not normally part of our unofficially singing/gaming group, you should start up your own.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Kaits said...

That was a lot of fun, but then, it always is. :)

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger becca said...

whoa, did he drive back down to get his key or something?

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Amber said...

He had a spare, I think he mainly came back to hang out some more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home