October 05, 2005

This morning, my alarm went off at 6:45. I sat up in bed and stretched. Then I stretched my neck, and suddenly I felt a horrible strong pain in the left side of my neck! Almost immediately, I couldn't see anything, my face felt like it was on fire, and I thought I would throw up because I felt so sick.

Intellectually, I knew the nurse didn't get in until 7:30. I knew I had class at 8:00. I knew that I had to shower today (I haven't showered since Monday, and since then I've worked at Subway and sweatily chopped vines off trees and moved mattresses. Disgusting combination of smells.) I knew I had to see the nurse, but I also knew that if I saw her at 7:30 I might not have time to shower. It was a confusing bunch of priorities.

For some reason, I insisted on finding my shoes and putting them on before going downstairs, because there is a sign outside the nurse's office saying "please wear shoes at all times" (the nurse's office is on the lower floor of my dorm - very close). I guess I was worried that I'd get down there and she'd send me back for my shoes.

Then I stumbled down the hall. I couldn't see anything at all - it was like someone was shining a flashlight in my eyes. I ran into the wall. Then I just fell on the floor and lay there for a few minutes. Eventually I got up and went downstairs and sat outside her office, waiting for her to get in, and crying because the pain was so bad.

My friend Amanda came by and saw me, then, and she was very sweet. She sat with me and called security and they came, but they couldn't really do anything except tell me to wait for the nurse. The nurse came and helped me to a couch and I basically laid there for the next 2 1/2 hours. She told me I had to see a doctor.

I was kind of worried about that, since I don't have insurance, but she sent me to a chiropractor she knows, because they had an appointment open at 10:30. So, I just got back from there half an hour ago. I am still in a lot of pain, especially whenever I move my head accidentally, but at least it's not unbearable now. I'm not going to class at all today. I think I'll try to go to work, though.

This is not at all how I envisioned my day going. But I'm kind of happy that I don't have as much pain now as I did this morning, and that it wasn't just one of those "overreacting" things.

I so badly want to take a shower, though! I think I'll try to soon.

So, that was my little adventure for today.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

I feel a lot of empathy for you (is that the right word?) Why do these weird things happen to us young people? Last year during one psychology class I had a major breakdown something like that... I wondered if it might be something like a migraine but it only happened that one time. (I think I told you about it!)

I hope and pray you're doing better now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home