September 28, 2005

okay okay okay okay okay.

Since I'm at the library and using the computer, I'll post something. But I came here to print out music. Which I'm doing. So this won't be long. I don't think.

Uh.

I don't really know what to write about. Today has been a really good day! haha. I've been in such a good mood all morning. I think part of it was how I ended my night last night and part of it is because of how my morning has gone, and another part of it is just that I have a lot to be happy about. I got sent home from work early too. My boss actually wouldn't allow me stay more than three hours because it's my birthday and I should be out "enjoying the day." Weird concept, I wanted the hours. ha. Anyway, now I don't really know what to do. Actually, I do, because I have plenty of things to get done. I just wasn't expecting to get them done today so now it feels like I don't know what to do.

um.

I really am in a weird mood.

Amber called me today. haha. She got my package. woo. I'm glad you liked it. My phone was set to silent but it started making noise anyway, and it sort of startled me so I dropped like three boxes of tap shoes on my head. I had to move about 100 of them today.

I'm going to write about something really boring that I would probably never talk about otherwise. Well, I might talk about it. But, I only ever write boring things on here.



At work today, one of the dance teachers/fill-in receptionist brought a letter over to the boutique, and she set it in the fax machine for my boss to proof-read when she came in. I read through it. Every line had at least one obvious mispelling or typo, and the grammar was so bad, I had to read several of the sentences over and over again before it made any sense. She had already double-checked it and fixed the mistakes. Or, mistake. She pluralized "dance." But, she missed "hurrican," "victum," "gendre" and a few other words, and plenty of run on sentences with commas all in the most nonsensical places you could think of. Not to be critical or anything. But, she's getting paid for this. It seems to me that if she's writing a letter to represent the business and in this letter, wanting to clearly communicate an event which requires a lot of coordination - on everybodies part - that it shouldn't be entirely made up with poor english. It doesn't seem quite as reassuring that something is actually going to happen smoothly if the information about it is difficult to understand.
And maybe you're reading this rant and counting up the mistakes I've made in my own writing. My point isn't really to criticize anyone's writing ability though. It's just interesting, after working from place to place, to see the different levels and standards people have - business to business and mine to theirs.

When my boss came in, I told her that it had some mistakes and then she looked over it and said, "um, what mistakes are you talking about?" and so I pointed them all out. I don't consider myself much of an english buff - I mispell plenty of words and my grammar or "writing technique" would be embarrassing to brag about. It's just interesting that it would've been sent off like that if I hadn't said anything. That would've been such a poor letter to send out, and it was one asking a favor of the studios. Not that the grammar is ever going to come to a perfect standard of "correct!" But, it should convey what the author is trying to say, and in this case, show the line of professionalism the business is trying to draw.

Actually, I think I'm just trying to get a raise.

wow, this got long. I need to leave.

-becca

1 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger tyrone said...

At my work, a certain regular publication gets sent around to like 12 people (a whole department, and practically all the directors it seems) for proofreading.  I asssume it's partly because it's an entire magazine, and also because the person in charge of making sure it's right knows how unlikely fewer people are to catch everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home