October 11, 2005

Here's a couple stories about weird customers I had today at work.

An older gentleman came in at 7:45. He was rather chatty, asking me if it had been busy (yes) and if that was a good thing (sometimes) and when I had come to work (5). Then he said something like, "so, you'll be here until 11 or so?"

I said, "no."

He said, "When does Subway close?"

I said, "10:30."

He said, "when do you get off?"

I said, "8."

"But that's in fifteen minutes! You just got here!"

"Yeah, it's a short shift."

Pause. Then, "So, whaddya do, sleep all day, then come work for a couple hours, then party all night and do it again the next day?"

Because of course, no one would ever hold a PART-TIME job anywhere unless they were just really lazy and wanted the extra time to goof off.

I said, "Um, actually, I'm a full-time student."

Instantly, his demeanor changed. From then on, it was "Oh, good! Where? What are you studying? What year are you? Sophomore? So, did you go there last year, too? Good, good...are you getting good grades? Good..." And he tipped me, too.

It kind of bugged me, that he judged me first. Hm.

Anyway, the second guy.

Two guys came in. The first ordered a sandwich. I asked the second guy, "and what can I get for you?" He said he didn't think he was getting anything. I said something like, "well, we have a special right now - two foot long sandwiches for 8.99." I'm starting to do that more, partly because I'm told to, and partly because it's amazing to me how many people respond positively. If I offer them something, they'll buy it.

He said, "Naw thanks." So I was making the first guy's sandwich and the second guy says, "Wait. So, you're saying I could get a sandwich like his and it would only cost three bucks more?" I said yes. He said, "Alright then, I want a foot long gardenburger sandwich."

As I was heating up the gardenburgers, he said, "actually, your chicken parmesan looks good." I thought he was going to change his mind, but he said, "can I get both gardenburger AND chicken parmesan on the same sandwich?" I told him sure, but it'd cost extra. He had no problem with that.

I don't think I've ever made such a weird sandwich. And to think, he hadn't even been going to have a sandwich in the first place! He had everything on it, including mayonnaise, mustard, chipotle sauce, ranch, oil, and vinegar. It looked disgusting. It was probably the heaviest sandwich I've ever wrapped up.

When doing two sandwiches, I typically write which sandwich is which on the bag. On his, I just did a face with two x's for eyes and a frowny mouth with a tongue hanging out of it. Both the guy's buddy and I could hardly contain our disgust as I made the sandwich. It was really funny though, and they were both really nice about it.

Something to add to my "how not to order a sandwich" list (How to Order at Subway): Do not say, "I'm going to have a six inch teriyaki with everything" and then walk away to use the bathroom. One man was rather irritated with me, I think, because he tried to do this. This is the list of the things I had to yell after him:

"Sir, the bathroom can only be opened with the key on the counter next to the register."

"Sir, what kind of bread do you want?"

"Did you want that sandwich toasted?"

"What kind of cheese did you want?"

"Sir, the men's bathroom is out of order; you have to use the women's."

"Yes, the key only works for the women's bathroom because the men's is out of order."

I think he was kind of irritated, but this isn't like McDonalds where you just order your food and wait around for it to be done. There is a lot of interaction.

I just got done playing Risk with some people. It was really fun. I started out winning but then I lost. it was fun though. I'm so tired. goodnight.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Sir Brian The Manly said...

Hahahaha! He was probably on a diet or something, and at that point he completely lost control and that's why he wanted everything on it. Nicely done on the frowny face though, that was heroic.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger becca said...

"The first guy ordered a sandwich."

Sounds like the start to a joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home