November 02, 2005

Panicked phone conversation with my boss.

"Hi, Heather, this is Amber. I just noticed the schedule for next week, and I noticed you have me working on Sunday from 10:30 to 4...?"

"Uh, no, that's Saturday."

"Well, it says Saturday 12 to 6, Sunday 10 30 to 4.

"You work Friday, 12 to 6, just like you always do. Your coworker must have gotten the days wrong - don't worry."

"Oh. Is that also why there's a smiley face by my name?"

"Probably."

Not particularly funny, but it was a relief. I mean, I spent my summer wrestling with my former boss to keep my Sundays, which I had always said, from the very beginning, I was unable to work them. My first thought was "oh, no, not again." But it was all a misunderstanding. Haha.

A customer came up today, and I said, "Hi, what can I get for you?"

"A sandwich."

"Okay, what kind?" (Thinking, well, you've come to the right place!)

"I don't know." (staring blankly at me.)

"Okay, well, right up there we have a list of all our sandwiches. Just pick the one you want."

"Can I have the new one?"

"The new Chicken parmesan?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, what kind of bread do you want?"

"That one." (pointing to a bread in the display box, which is facing away from me.)

"Oh, I actually can't see where you're pointing, but could you read me what the bread is?"

"Italian."

"Okay." (I'm relieved that we've gotten this far.) "Now, did you want a six inch or a twelve inch?" I motion with my hands.

"That one." They point at the picture.

"Oh, a foot long?" It's a foot long in the picture.

"No, the one for 3.95."

"Okay." I take out a foot long piece of white bread and cut it in half. I'm interrupted.

"Actually, how much is it for a whole?"

I pointedly turn around and look at the menu, which they could very well see. "Looks like 5.95."

"Okay, do a whole."

I put back the six inch and cut a foot long.

From this point on, everything I say has to be said very, very slowly, and repeated loudly. I feel mean. They point at the vegetables they want, and the cheese that they want, and I can't tell where they're pointing. So I end up pointing at everything and interpreting head movement as either nods or shakes.

Anyway, it was annoying, and it tried my patience.

On a good note, I had a good day today. I even had several compliments! And people responded nicely to my presence, if that makes sense.

4 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger tyrone said...

I bet that was the best sandwich they'd had in a while.

When I go to a subway, I like to imagine you're behind the counter making my sandwich. Makes it that much tastier.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Sir Brian The Manly said...

Sometimes people's intelligence can be overwhelming. ^_^

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

At the Subways I've been to, I believe the food is equally visible to customer and employee (but I've only been to one or two).

It makes more sense for dealing with people who order the way you described, although I suppose having all the ingredients somewhat out in the open like that might make them stale faster...

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Tap...both the customer and I can see the food just as well. But we are separated by a curved glass partition. When someone points at something, I can't see where they're pointing at.

And, the food does not go stale. The counter is one big cooler underneath, so the food stays cold, and we take the temperatures twice during the day to make sure everything is safe. You should go into Subway and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home