November 17, 2005

I think amber is on her choir tour now. I'm going to go see her perform on Sunday night. That should be fun. I haven't seen her in a while.

I read something A.B. Simpson wrote today. It was titled, "HIMSELF". It was really good. Jeanie gave it to me a couple of weeks ago saying, "becca, this is so good. You'll read in here what you hardly read anywhere." It was about how generally, Christians miss the fact that what we really need from God is Christ.
Even faith can get in the way of receiving exactly what we need from Christ, if the faith isn't so much in God as it is in us having faith that we have faith. So, ultimately, I suppose, having faith in ourselves. I'm not really doing justice to the paper or what I thought about it, but it was good. It challenged me a little, and it's always good to be challenged. Sometimes I think I want to just pray that things will be easier, but really, shouldn't I be praying that I'll be able to handle things even when they aren't easy?

Like that quote, "Do not pray for easy lives, Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers, Pray for powers equal to your tasks." Phillips Brooks said that. He was an ordained priest at was the rector of the trinity church in Philadelphia. He wrote O Little Town of Bethlehem. Just in case you were wondering who he was. I don't even know why I know that. Nerd.

I really like to look back and see things I thought about at some point in time. I mean, not just silly things like something someone did that made me feel a certain way, or who I liked and why. Those are kind of funny, but not really what I'm talking about. I mean when I'm reading a passage in the Bible and I actually stop and think about it and write it down. I'll think and pray about plenty of things, but when I write it down, I can look later and see if I actually did anything because of those convictions. I'm visual and hands on. I don't remember things as well if I just think about them unless I think about them a looot.

It's kind of interesting the different ways people learn and think about things. Everyone studies so differently, and I always assume my way is the best way to learn because it works for me - at least, it would work a lot better if I was more diligent in it. It's sort of funny that you have to almost learn how to learn. You pick up the basic skills like reading, writing, matching, logical thinking. But then you have to figure out the best way to use those skills to help you understand something. Whether it's repetition, trying it out, seeing it, neumonics, simply reading or having it explained to you - whatever. I've learned a lot about that in CEF. When you're preparing lessons and clubs, how you have to be able to get all the kids attention and try and match all of their learning processes, and not just like...emphasise everything in every way, but just the important things.

Wow, why am I still writing. What else do I have to say? Nothing really. I never really do. I just felt like writing something, because I haven't really written in a while. I used to really like it too. Maybe I realized I'm not that good or it's sort of pointless or something. ha. It's not always pointless. I just wouldn't major in it. I need to get off to work pretty soon. I guess I could be spending my time more efficiently right now too. Yep. bye.

-becca

1 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Sir Brian The Manly said...

Yep. bye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home