July 31, 2005

Thanks, becca, for the welcome home!

becca is my best friend ever. "No, really?" you say. "We couldn't tell, because this entire blog is devoted to your friendship, and it's the length of a small novel." But I was struck once again today with becca's amazing friendship skills.

After a week of camp with a maximum of 6 hours of sleep per night, in 95 degree weather, with barely a free moment to do anything in, I was tired today. For some reason last night I couldn't sleep more than three or four hours. I know I woke up at least six times.

becca was tired too, she didn't get much sleep, and she worked a lot last week.

We went to church, then played a lot of piano, then went out for lunch. She got called in to work at three thirty.

I then proceeded to have a bad day.

I knew becca was at work but I called her like three times and left a message. I knew that as soon as she could, she would come and pick me up and we would go to her house and have tea and some kind of comfort food and I would sit on her bed and cry and there would be kleenex.

She called me as soon as she had a minute's break from work. She said she got off at 10. I knew she didn't have time to talk and I really wanted to see her in person so that's really all we said.

She picked me up around 10 30, and it was just perfect. I mean, I just needed some TLC. I needed somebody to be nice to me. I really wanted my mom but since she was kind of far away I got becca. We had chili and licorice spice tea. The microwave went out. I sat on her bed and cried. She said all the right things, like "It makes sense you'd feel this way" and "you have a lot to deal with" and stuff. She was great.

Guys, this is what you do for a girl when she's being all stupid. It doesn't matter if there's no reason for her to be crying hysterically. It doesn't matter if the reason is a bad one. You w on't be able to have a mature discussion about it until she is calmed down anyway, so just make every effort to be nice. Tea, soup, coffee, chocolate (generally, stuff that is consumed is a good way to start.) If she's crying, make sure she has Kleenex and a garbage can nearby. If it's hot, give her ice cream or some ice water. If it's cold, give her a blanket. Say things designed to make her feel like she was right. If you're going to say anything even slightly judgmental, even if you are masking it heavily with syrupy talk, you are in danger of breaking her heart. Wait to discuss until she is ready to discuss. Until then, just be really really nice.

becca was really really nice to me today, and I knew she would be, which was why I wanted to see her. If you be nice like this to your friends who are sad, and save your "buck up and take it" discussions for later, you will be your friends' friend.

Thanks becca!

5 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger tyrone said...

Maybe not exactly the same, but I was feeling something like that earlier today. Hope the new day is significantly better for you. If not, you could always try a little ice cream. Mmm, ice cream...

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That gave me goosebumps.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger tyrone said...

Yay, a happy update!  Those are the best kind.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Sir Brian The Manly said...

*takes notes*

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will make Jeremiah read this blog. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home